Photograph inside the empty JW Cooper School. Sun 5/13
This will likely be our last visit here are they are going to be renovating. We will have a small group, as always. More information and Sign up here www.meetup.com/photography-by-lisa-and-tom/events/228888135/
See a few pics from previous visits here http://www.breaphotosgalleries.com/Locations/JW-Cooper-School
Three floors inside the abandoned JW Cooper High School in Shenandoah, PA. "Originally scheduled to open in 1918, the 3-story stone school building located in the center of the Borough of Shenandoah, was commandeered and used as a temporary hospital and morgue during the flu epidemic of 1918, when the local hospital was unable to accommodate the large number of victims. In May 1919 the building was dedicated as the “new Shenandoah High School”. It was later renamed the J.W. Cooper High School in memory of the school’s first principal. The school remained in use until 1986 when it was replaced with a new facility. It was the first school to have a swimming pool in Pennsylvania. The heated pool first saw use in 1927."