Thursday, February 25, 2016

Connecticut Valley Camera Club Meeting February 29th, 2016

Connecticut Valley Camera Club Meeting February 29th, 2016

The CT Valley Camera Club’s monthly meeting will be featuring Mark Starr, a noted local photographer. The following words describe his background and style of photography and form the basis for his presentation on Monday, Feb 29th:    

I am a documentary photographer living in Connecticut. My goal has been to preserve something of the working cultures of New England, now rapidly disappearing. Over the course of the past seven years, I have largely focused on commercial fishermen, but I have also documented such things as the last family dairy farms in my home town, the closing of the last sardine cannery in America, traditional agricultural fairs throughout New England, and historic barns. The photographs I take and interviews I conduct are turned into books for distribution. My work has been featured in magazines such as LensWork, The Sun, Vermont Magazine, Rhode Island Monthly, Edible Rhody, and Yankee Magazine, and the photographs from my major projects have been selected for inclusion in the permanent collections of the Library of Congress.

Mark has published 11 books and is working on the 12th. He sees photography as a way to tell the stories of his projects' subjects. He will give us an overview of his work and show examples.

CVCC meets the last Monday of each month at the Deep River Library (lower level), 150 Main St., at 7:00pm  Our  meetings are open to the public. Please contact Ed McCaffrey for further information 860-767-3521.

Edward McCaffrey
Publicity Chairman